The junior sees time at the No. 2 and 3 singles spots. "Junior Mark Fisicaro helped lead the Penn?" Well, not exactly. See, it is Marc with a "c," and he has definitely helped lead the Quakers charge into virtually every match played since he came here three years ago. At six feet tall, he isn't exactly hard to miss. His opponents tend to agree when he drives his punishing ground strokes by them for winners, something he'll try to do this weekend, at Princeton today and Navy tomorrow. So why is it that no one can even get the spelling of his name right, when all he seems to do is help the team win? Well, ask anyone on the team, you'll get the same answer. He's a "silent leader." Fisicaro is content playing his heart out, and leading by example -- then maybe someone will tell people how to print his name right. "He's the kind of guy I count on so much, I don't need to spend as much time with him as I might with the other players," Penn coach Gene Miller said. Miller looks at Fisicaro now, and is drawn to the same qualities that made him so intent on making this recruit wear the Red and Blue. "I might have to work with his skills, but when it comes to winning, I don't need to help him, he knows how to do that," Miller said. Fisicaro, now a junior, exhibited these qualities before he even reached the college ranks. The soft-spoken kid from Clementon, N.J., led his high school team as captain his senior year. Fisicaro's game was good enough that he knew a high caliber of tennis was in his future. "I wanted to go to an Ivy, and Penn had a good team moving in the right direction," Fisicaro said. His freshman season brought success right away. Penn began the season hovering around the 98th rank in the country. Aided by Fisicaro at the No. 3 singles spot, the team got as high as 44th in the nation. Fisicaro recalls the defeat of Princeton his freshman year as one of the best moments in his career. "My freshman year was tough getting used to academics and tennis," Fisicaro said. "I just go out there and try to play as hard as I can, and I won't be happy until I win every point in the match." It is just this combination of modesty and determination that has made his career so successful. Most would be satisfied to step in freshman year and be the last player on the court, pulling out the decisive point, against Yale and Columbia, and helping his team beat Princeton for the first time in 25 years. Not bad for a frosh. But, Fisicaro wanted to be better. "When he came in he was only a baseliner, but he has developed every aspect of his game. He can come to the net, and hit a slice and drive return now that he didn't have," Miller said. The work payed off. Sophomore year brought bigger things, to an already accomplished player. Going 5-4 in the spring season, and continually adding to his baseline game, Fisicaro earned All-Ivy first team and All-EITA first-team honors. Fisicaro also finished the season as the No. 22 singles player in the region. But the individual glory wasn't his focus. Fisicaro kept working at his game, hoping to help the team win in new ways. He worked on his serves and volleys, eager to move into a doubles position. "I didn't like sitting on the sidelines for the doubles point. Somehow, someway, I wanted to get on that court and help the team win," Fisicaro said. His game has taken on new meaning this year. Having several of what Miller called "break out" matches, with straight set, 6-0, 6-0, defeat at Rutgers, and crushing victory a#t Swarthmore, Fisicaro gives the Quakers a key element to their winning season (9-4 this spring). Fisicaro's role this season has gone much beyond his "W's." He has elevated his leadership role to a whole new level, being labeled a "franchise player" by Miller. "I knew I needed to be more of a leader, and gain respect. Since I am a quiet player, I try to do my leading on the court." While the wins keep coming, Fisicaro, to some, has taken on almost a coaching role. "There was one match he didn't play in Florida, when he just stayed on my court helping me. It is sometimes easier to take advice from, especially since he can give a player's perspective," Penn freshman Michael Klatsky said. With the heart of the Ivy League season about to begin, Fisicaro will undoubtedly ask himself, and his teammates to play at another level. "By the time I graduate, I want this team to be expected to contend for the Ivy League title every year, in the same breath as Princeton without hesitation," Fisicaro said. It is no surprise that this is the only legacy that Fisicaro wants to leave at the Lott Courts after graduation. The consummate team player, he hopes only to be remembered as one of the players that got Penn to the next level of competition. After all he has given to Penn, maybe they will spell his name with a "c" when all is said and done.