The cause of the four-alarm blaze at 33rd and Chestnut streets March 9 that gutted the Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church has been traced to the building's electrical wiring, Philadelphia Fire Department officials said. The Fire Marshal's office concluded Tuesday that the fire was caused by "temporary construction string wiring and lighting" on the 113-year-old building's first-floor ceiling, department spokesperson Capt. Henry Dolberry explained. The building -- which was to open as the Charles Addams Fine Arts Hall in August 1997 --Ewas almost completely destroyed by the blaze. The University had been renovating the facility for the last several years. Dolberry said no further details were available on the fire's cause, adding that while he did not know exactly how the fire started, the wires and lights apparently "came into contact with combustibles." He explained that the lights and electrical wiring -- which had been located on the building's north side, away from Chestnut Street -- were typical of those found at most construction sites. An investigator from the Fire Marshal's office said she did not have any additional information on the fire's cause, noting that the head investigator examining the church fire was unavailable for comment. Vice President for Facilities Management Art Gravina and Graduate School of Fine Arts Dean Gary Hack were unavailable for comment yesterday. University spokesperson Ken Wildes said officials were relieved that the fire was not ruled an arson. "It was our understanding that the investigation was pointing toward accidental cause," Wildes said. "You never want to think that a University facility is the target for something untoward." He added that University officials expect to complete construction of a new facility on the church site between September 1998 and December 1998. "That, I think, is what everyone's pointing toward as the best solution right now," Wildes said, noting that officials will attempt to save the portion of the church's facade that was not severely damaged by the blaze. Although final figures will not be available for another two to three weeks, the cost of the damage has been estimated at approximately $3.5 million, Wildes said. Gravina said earlier this week that the fire struck as renovations to the building were approximately halfway toward completion and construction workers were finishing work on the building's new third floor. "We're all very disappointed," Gravina said earlier this week. "We were so close to getting it done -- it would have been a real jewel." More than 120 firefighters -- working with more than 30 fire trucks and other vehicles -- brought the roaring fire under control within an hour after it started.