Is "roses are red, violets are blue" getting a little old this year? Even Hallmark can't win the hearts of everyone. And for some University students, the charm of chocolate and roses is wearing off. Refusing to conform to tradition, College junior Elizabeth Huntley said she has opted for an anti-Valentine's Day party. But before she can join in the festivities, Huntley said she must follow the specific "anti-Valentine's Day" rules, which include wearing all black and showing up stag. Huntley added that Valentine's Day puts women in a somewhat submissive position. "It's society's way of making guys prove how much they love their women," she said. "Many girls who don't have boyfriends feel a sense of failure." And she added that people should celebrate love everyday. For Engineering junior Reshma Sohoni, Valentine's Day is a time to appreciate more than just a significant other. "I don't think it's about having a boyfriend or a girlfriend," Sohoni said. "It's a causal time to let people know you care about them." Other female students expressed concern that male peers don't understand the pressure placed on women to have dates for Valentine's Day. But College sophomore and Sigma Alpha Epsilon president Jeff Adler said guys experience pressure just as much as girls. "I think many guys feel pressured to go through the ritual of celebrating Valentine's Day," Adler said. "People feel they have to get a date, send someone flowers or make a reservation at a really nice restaurant." Adler added that he made reservations for Valentine's Day far in advance to ensure a place to take his date. One anonymous College junior said he spends Valentine's Day celebrating nostalgia. "I think of giving valentines to my friends in grade school," he said. "It's a day for me to remember how simple life can be." But some students, such as College sophomore Jake Wilson, see Valentine's Day as a marketing scam. "I can't remember the last time I celebrated this holiday." Wilson said. "It's a creation of Hallmark." Wilson added that although he does see pressure on guys to ask girls out for Valentine's Day, he chooses not to submit to it. "It's become so kitschy," Wilson said. "I just don't feel drawn to it." A College freshman who wished to remain anonymous said she always gets depressed on Valentine's Day when she doesn't have a boyfriend. "I've learned to celebrate with friends instead, but I believe it's a special time I'd rather share with a boyfriend," she said. Annenberg librarian Susan Williamson, who teaches a class in special topics in gender and communications, said she recently received e-mails from her two daughters, lashing out at Valentine's Day. But Williamson said she is not personally opposed to celebrating the holiday. "If you look in any card store you'll see that the range of sweetheart-hood has changed a lot," she said. "It's a holiday for single people, married people, anyone who wants to celebrate the importance of friends and family."