Several organizations across campus are backing the Black Student League's criticism of University President Judith Rodin's plan for minority permanence. At a meeting with minority student leaders on campus -- scheduled earlier this month by President Rodin -- BSL President Obinna Adibe, a College senior, announced that the group would not participate in the discussion regarding Rodin's plan, charging that the University hasn't addressed several important concerns for black students. The plan, released last fall, lays out steps to improve minority student recruitment and retention by increasing the number of African American and Hispanic faculty on campus. "We feel that during this past year, we've been trying to get minority data and the administration has been giving us the run-around," said BSL Parliamentarian Jonathan Carroll, a College sophomore. "The University has not been cooperating as we would like them to," he added. BSL Vice President and College senior Sean Coleman -- who refused to comment -- furthered the BSL's efforts, assailing the University's failure in committing itself to the needs of black students in communications with several administrators and faculty members. Adibe could not be reached this weekend for comment. But Rodin said she began the meeting earlier this month "by laying out all that we had done since the November meeting and there were numerous initiatives, many of which Sean and Obinna had a hand in creating." In light of those initiatives, Rodin said she was surprised the BSL feels it has been ignored. "I find myself perplexed by the allegation that nothing has been done," she said. "The purpose of the initiatives is to continue efforts of the University toward recruitment and retaining outstanding students from underrepresented minorities," she added. University spokesperson Ken Wildes, who attended last week's meeting, said he was "surprised and disappointed" that Adibe and his colleagues decided to leave the meeting, and "particularly so because there had been regular meetings and continuing dialogue between the students and administration for most of this academic year." But two tri-chairs of the African American Faculty and Staff Association, James Gray and Tom Henry, fully support and agree with the BSL's decision to abstain from participation in the meeting. "I think [the BSL] has more than a legitimate gripe," Gray said. "There is an attitude of disrespect that is true not only for the BSL but also for the African American Association," he added. Henry criticized University administrators for excluding African Americans in committees working on the welfare of black students and faculty at the University. "I just don't think the University is serious in trying to sit down and work on issues with minority permanence," he said. The tri-chairs canceled a scheduled meeting with Executive Vice President John Fry on February 17, because they "didn't think anything else would come out of it except lip service," Henry added. The United Minorities Council has not formally taken a position on the BSL's criticisms of the plan. And Rodin said the BSL shouldn't view its interests as entirely separate from those of other minority groups. "There are many issues that many of the minority students on campus feel that may be unique to their particular group," Rodin said. "It is not to deny that those issues are important," she added. "It is merely to say that we benefit from putting all of our issues on the table and working on them because there are similarities and commonalities between them." Even without a formal position, UMC Chairperson Susie Lee, a College senior, said her group fully supports the BSL stand. "The groups are going to do as much to support each other as possible, because we all share the same frustrations," Lee added. But some have criticized the BSL for its independent actions on the issue. "If we're established to work as a united front, but everyone's running in their own directions, then what the hell's the point of the UMC?" UMC Vice Chairperson and College sophomore Olivia Troye asked. At the UMC's February 18 meeting, representatives proposed establishing a committee to address what each group wishes to attain from Rodin's plan for minority permanence. "We all have needs that are present beyond racial and ethnic divides," UMC Programming Coordinator and College junior Tope Koledoye said. "We're really losing a group mentality here if we don't all come together," she added. And College sophomore Debralee Santos -- UMC representative for Asociaci-n Cultural de Estudiantes Latino Americanos, or ACELA -- said Latino students share the same perceived lack of initiative on behalf of the administration. "The BSL is providing a forum for discussion and we appreciate their research and efforts," Santos said.