and Lindsay Faber Ten votes crushed the jubilant tone of victory at the "Joseph Hoeffel for Congress" headquarters last night as the Democratic candidate lost by the slimmest of margins. Hoeffel, currently Montgomery County commissioner, challenged Republican incumbent Jon Fox for the 13th District's U.S. House of Representatives seat. With 120,287 votes, Hoeffel took 48.9 percent of the vote, the same percentage as his opponent. Despite the announced loss, Hoeffel supporters are optimistic they will celebrate a victory in the coming weeks. "These things change when an official count comes in," a Hoeffel volunteer said. The official results should be released by Friday, at which point the losing candidate is likely to petition for a recount. Waiting until Friday will allow for the counting of absentee ballots. Yellow balloons illuminated the union headquarters that hosted the party, as Hoeffel supporters waited for results under a banner reading: "Stand up for America's working families." Early returns had Hoeffel leading by almost 6,000 votes at one point in the evening. Even then, though, Hoeffel campaign Co-Chairperson Joann Olszbowski said she was "cautiously optimistic" because of the closeness of the race. Hoeffel did not appear at the festivities until the final ballots were being tabulated, despite the crowd's coaxing call of "Joe." Penn students attended the party to support the candidate and decry Fox. "Hoeffel came to speak at the Law School and was pretty convincing," third-year Law student Kathleen Burdette said. "His opponent holds some pretty despicable views." With background music supplied by a local jazz band, supporters munched on egg salad sandwiches and drank soda and beer. Enthusiastic union workers packed Hoeffel's main bed of support, and his campaign was backed by the local unions. "Jon Fox's labor record is one of the worst around and I refuse to have any of my rights stripped," supermarket employee Lois Lidell said. Hoeffel's stance against Medicare helped him gain support in the primarily Republican district, Olszbowski said. "We were really counting on the fact that Joe would do well with the seniors," she added. Despite the loss last night, "everybody's excited because it's not over," a Hoeffel volunteer said.