Other students expressed anger over officials' response to the allegations. A first-year female Medical student accused a male classmate of acquaintance rape last week, filing a complaint with the Medical School on November 19. Vice Dean for Education Gail Morrison has initiated an internal investigation into the incident in accordance with the School's Policy of Governing Medical Student Academic Progress and Conduct. As of last night, the alleged victim had not chosen to file any criminal charges with University or Philadelphia Police, Medical School spokesperson Rebecca Harmon said, adding that allegations like this have "never happened before." During the past several days, Medical students have complained that the school's response to the incident was inadequate, said second-year Medical student Louis Littman, who serves as his class's co-chairperson in the Medical Student Government. "The perception was that the administration had been insensitive and wasn't doing anything," he added. "The reality was extremely different." To allay the concerns, Morrison held a meeting yesterday in Stemmler Hall's Dunlop Auditorium, which was attended by more than 400 Medical students, Littman added. He said the alleged victim announced her allegations and concerns about administrators' response at a meeting of the Women Medical Student Association on Monday to a crowd of about 100. After the meeting, the crowd held a 15-minute sit-in in the Medical School's main office in Stemmler Hall, Littman said. In response, Morrison announced she would hold the open meeting. "[The meeting] put an end to rumors and innuendos that can certainly develop and did in this instance," Harmon said. "It was quite fruitful in identifying? what the process is and its significance." But Littman said some students are still "really incensed." Whenever a student files charges within the Medical School, the parties involved first attempt to reach an informal resolution, Harmon explained. In this case, administrators have decided to pursue a full investigation into the charges, she added. "Given the seriousness of the allegation, we have stepped up our investigative efforts so that this issue may be resolved quickly and appropriately," Morrison said in a statement released yesterday. "However, we will continue to work within the guidelines of our established process to ensure the fair and responsible treatment of both individuals involved." Harmon said an internally-selected investigative officer will oversee the case, working with the two parties toward reaching a formal settlement. If that is impossible, a hearing panel made up of students and faculty will listen to both sides and make a recommendation to Morrison, who is ultimately responsible for the process and its resolution.