With 1996 Penn graduate Miles Macik about to begin his rookie season as a wide receiver for the Detroit Lions, another former Quaker is looking for a new employer in the NFL. Offensive lineman/tight end Joe Valerio, a 1991 Penn graduate, was cut by the Kansas City Chiefs on August 25. The Chiefs' second-round draft pick in '91, Valerio was better known for his four touchdown receptions than his run- or pass-blocking ability. Valerio, unable to crack the Chiefs' starting lineup as a tackle or center, spent the early portion of his career as Kansas City's backup long-snapper. But on Oct. 3, 1993, in a game against the Los Angeles Raiders, Valerio entered the game as an eligible receiver. With the ball on the one-yard line, Chiefs quarterback Joe Montana faked a handoff to running back Marcus Allen and completed the pass to his make-shift tight end in the endzone. It was the first reception of Valerio's career, either as a pro or a collegian. Valerio would go on to catch three more passes as the third tight end in Kansas City's jumbo lineup, all for touchdowns. The most recent catch was last October 1 in a game against the Arizona Cardinals. That reception was another one-yarder, courtesy of quarterback Steve Bono. But the Chiefs decided that it was too costly to keep a career backup on their roster just for the once-a-season TD reception and released him. With the NFL season set to open on Sunday, Valerio has yet to latch on with another team. -- Eric Goldstein