After years of searching and months of scientific and economic analysis, Executive Director of Physical Plant James Wargo finally found his gem -- a paver that can effectively replace the worn bluestones on Locust Walk. The central walkway of the University, along with several campus structures, has undergone major renovations this summer -- and they are continuing even as students return to campus. Beginning in June, the bluestones that line Locust Walk were replaced with bituminous paver. Wargo said installing the paver will cost half as much as installing new bluestones. Each three-by-four-foot block of bluestone costs $500, he explained. The project is scheduled to be completed by the beginning of winter. The other major project scheduled for completion this fall involves the transformation of the former Theta Xi fraternity house at 3643 Locust Walk into the Penn Women's Center. "The construction project was designed to be sympathetic to its historic character, yet it is not a restoration," Facilities Management Vice President Art Gravina said. "We paid special attention to color selection, porch replacement, windows and roof." Additions to the building include air conditioning, new electric service, additional lighting and a handicap ramp to make the first floor accessible to all. Gravina noted that the Women's Center's move from its offices in Houston Hall will allow "us to move forward with Perelman Quad." When the Women's Center move was originally announced, it came under some scrutiny from those who thought the center only catered to a small percentage of students. But Women's Center Director Elena DiLapi said she is thrilled because the move creates a presence of women at the center of campus. The Locust Walk project began because the current bluestones deteriorated only 10 years after the University installed them in 1977, with the expectation that the material would last 30 years. Wargo said the bluestone damage resulted from several influences. "Over the years, more and more vehicles were accessing the Walk for whatever reasons," Wargo said. "But that was a problem because Locust Walk was specifically made for walking." Also, the 1977 plans called for three-inch thick bluestone, but the University used stones that were approximately two inches because of "availability problems," Wargo said. The disappointing bluestone expenditure led the University on a 19-year search to find the best replacement for Locust Walk. Wargo visited quarries in several states for a solution. "I brought back samples that we performed tests on," Wargo explained. "We had University geologists do freeze-thaw simulations and tested what salt did to them." The search for the perfect rock ended when the University decided that bituminous paver was the best replacement. The paver from Hasting was placed on the 38th Street bridge five years ago and Wargo said the material is holding up well. Hasting paver is a coal product that is mostly composed of tar, but also has a mixture of various stones. "I learned a whole lot about stones and the University definitely made an informed choice," Wargo said. "I think the paver will save the University money in the long run and it will be maintainable." Bluestone will remain in certain sections of the campus, such as the Perelman Quadrangle and the Annenberg Center. According to Wargo, future vehicular traffic will be restricted on Locust Walk.