Looking for something new and exciting to do this afternoon? Summerfest '96 will be celebrated today and every Thursday for the duration of the summer. Take a walk to the Houston Hall Plaza -- the area between Houston and College Halls -- between 11:30 am and 2 pm and join in the second annual festival. The summertime tradition sponsored by Summer Sessions, Houston Hall and the Vice Provost for University Life was a single day event last year, but has been expanded this year due to student response. "I am very excited about the plans in store for this summer," said Vice Provost for University Life Valarie Swain-Cade McCoullum. "We thought it would be fabulous to expand opportunities to liven up the campus during the summer when so many students, faculty, staff and community members are active." Last Thursday, June 6, was the first day that University students, faculty and community members gathered at the student union. Many people were optimistic about the extended festival. Each day vendors will be selling food and door prizes will be awarded. Music will be a weekly part of the outdoor activity. Nestea will also be present to distribute free drinks. "This is a great weekly event because it allows everyone to come together and enjoy the nice outdoor weather," said Tom Hauber, one of the directors of Houston Hall who helped organize the summerfest. "It reminds people that we are still here in the summer." Hauber said he was pleased with last Thursday's moderate turnout and believes that move people will attend the future events. Along with the various food being sold at the event, several stores located in Houston Hall set up outdoor booths on Thursdays. Several owners are hoping for more customers as the 1996 Summerfests continue. "I like being outside -- but I need more people to stop by and visit my table," said George Atkinson from Campus Jewelry Connection. "I'll be out here every Thursday and my prices will keep getting lower and lower. Come see me." Health education and summer volunteer booths will also be weekly features at the Summerfest. Director of the Program for Student-Community Involvement David Grossman said it is a good opportunity "get in touch with a lot of different people." McCoullum said they hope to continue last year's events, such as ice cream socials, movie series, volleyball games, and museum tours. Some University students also found the first '96 Summerfest an enjoyable place to gather.