The drug Rohypnol can create a drunk-like effect in only 10 minutes, causing potential amnesia, drowsiness and a loss of inhibition. Better known as "roofies," the drug -- recently banned from the United States -- has been nicknamed "the drop pill" because it dissolves quickly when dropped into drinks. And there have been several reports of rapists using the drug as a means to trap their victims. The drug, which can pose an extreme danger to women's safety, is one of the focuses of the Alcohol and Other Drug Awareness and Take Back the Night Week already underway. Students Together Against Acquaintance Rape Executive Board member Jane Grodnick said she does not feel confident that the recent ban on the drug will cause it to disappear. "People need to be educated about this pill," she said. "Kurt Cobain took it with champagne, and it put him into a coma." Grodnick added that "roofies" is making its appearance at a time when one in four women are already victims of rape or attempted rape on college campuses. She also pointed out a correlation between alcohol, drugs and sexual violence. The College junior explained that a study of 32 universities by the National Institute of Mental Health showed that in rape cases, 75 percent of men and 55 percent of women were drinking or taking drugs before the attack. "In rape cases, men often use alcohol to get women too drunk to consent," Grodnick said. "Now the 'roofies' pill can produce the same effects -- if not worse, because some women may not even remember that they were raped." College sophomore Marti Speranza, president of the Penn chapter of the National Organization of Women, explained that most people are not aware of the drug's potential danger. "Nobody thinks it will happen to them," Speranza said. "Women's safety is often swept under the carpet because it's difficult for victims to be vocal." Speranza stressed that she does not believe people can hide from the possibility of rape by avoiding social drinking situations, but she does believe it is something to be concerned about. And Gloria Gay, associate director of the Penn Women's Center, explained that women face many potential dangers. "This is just another way that women can be victimized," Gay said. "We have to learn how to protect ourselves." She urged students to attend the week's upcoming events, including a self-defense workshop and Take Back the Night rally, which will focus specifically on women's safety.