The Collegiate Academic Achievement program offers athletes personalized attention Many Penn athletes replace their helmets with thinking caps three nights a week, taking advantage of tutoring services offered through the Collegiate Academic Achievement Program. The program, which is directed by Academic Coordinator for Athletics Robert Koonce, was created in the 1990-91 school year and models the tutoring assistance offered in residential buildings, according to Koonce. "It was established to meet the needs of the student-athlete because some of the other programs' times are not conducive to student-athletes' needs," Koonce said. "For those that come and partake and prepare for the session, it is a very effective system." Koonce added that he also encourages the athletes to take advantage of the various other tutoring programs offered by the University. The program provides tutors for athletes studying subjects ranging from finance to foreign languages. It is held Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday nights from 7:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. in the Towne Building. Because most of the participants are freshmen and sophomores, Koonce gears the program toward underclassmen. All the tutors are Penn students, and some of them are fellow athletes, Koonce said. Koonce said the turnout for the Collegiate Academic Achievement Program has rapidly increased since its inception five years ago. "We usually see anywhere from 65 to 90 athletes," said Koonce, adding that the economics review session alone draws 35 to 40 attendees. "Our Spanish tutor stays busy, our writing tutor stays busy, our math tutors stay busy." Wharton senior Chris Brauser, tutor-coordinator of the program, instructs participating athletes in Wharton School of Business subjects. "I treat it as a classroom atmosphere," he said, adding that he goes over the class syllabus and "takes it down to basics." Brauser added that this year's attendance has been "three to four times greater" than in the past. "We've seen a larger turnout than ever this year," he said. The program has been well-received by its participants. "I go there either for tutoring or for quiet time as a study hall," said men's lacrosse player Rixson Hacking, a College freshman. "I think it's helped me, in that the tutoring is readily available. The quiet time helps me get my work done earlier." Hacking added that the tutoring is consistently helpful and was especially beneficial last semester, when he was still adjusting to the demands of college. Hacking added that the program improves other aspects of his life. "It helps me get more sleep," he said. While no official records have been kept to monitor the success of the program's participants, Koonce said he has noticed an increase in the athletes' academic achievement. "Based on some of the grades of freshmen I've seen, I'm pretty pleased at this point," he added. The program extends tutoring services for economics, finance, mathematics, biology, chemistry, physics, writing, Spanish and French.