Two residential advisors who allegedly witnessed College sophomore Scott Schuman strike a former University Police officer claimed yesterday that it was improper for Assistant Vice Provost for University Life Barbara Cassel to testify as a character witness in Schuman's trial. Municipal Court Judge Martin Bashoff acquitted Schuman Wednesday of all charges stemming from his April 21 arrest. The two RAs, College seniors Christopher Robbins and Gregory Montanaro, were both scheduled to testify for the prosecution. They claim Cassel's presence as a character witness for the defense was "intimidating and inappropriate." The RAs work for Residential Living, which is supervised by the Vice Provost for University Life's Office for which Cassel works. Cassel said Wednesday night that the decision to testify as a character witness for Schuman was a personal one and that she was not acting in an official capacity. She said she cleared her decision to testify with the University's General Counsel Office and she told both her boss, McCoullum, and University Police Chief George Clisby about her decision. McCoullum confirmed that Cassel's decision to testify was personal. But Robbins said having "his boss several times removed" testifying for the other side placed him under "a very strong element of duress." Former University Police officer Mary Terry, whom Schuman was accused of punching, said Clisby never told her of Cassel's decision to testify. She said she was surprised and "offended" that Cassel was a character witness for her alleged assailant. Clisby is on vacation and could not be reached for comment. Cassel said she was not at the trial to testify against the University Police or the RAs, but only to tell the court about Schuman's character as she knew it. But in a confidential memorandum Cassel sent to Clisby yesterday and obtained by the DP, Cassel wrote that she "personally believe[s] that this case could have been handled internally." Cassel refused to comment last night on the memo. In the memo, Cassel also wrote that Robbins had approached her in "extremely threatening manner" before the trial and was warned by another witness in the case that his comments could be construed as "threatening a witness." Robbins denied on the stand that he ever threatened Cassel and last night called Cassel's claim "absurd." Bashoff said the testimony of Cassel and four other character witnesses -- who testified that Schuman is an upstanding member of the community who had never been in trouble before or since his arrest -- were a major factor in his decision to find Schuman not guilty. But Montanaro, formerly a DP city editor, claimed that Cassel should never have taken the stand in the first place. He voiced his complaint in an e-mail addressed to Vice Provost for University Life Valerie Swain-Cade McCoullum. "I would like to know on what grounds the University can justify sending an official to testify on behalf of a student who was implicated in the assault of an RA and a University Police officer," Montanaro wrote. "I am yet confused about what message Cassel's actions send to the RAs who attempt to do their jobs." A source close to the case said yesterday that Schuman's actions had been investigated by the University judicial system and that Schuman had signed a statement admitting he violated the Code of Student Conduct. The source said Schuman was put on probation for his behavior. Schuman, who is underage, said last night that he signed a statement because he had in fact violated the University's alcohol policy by bringing a six-pack of beer into the Quadrangle. He said the statement did not refer to any other violations besides drinking. And Schuman again proclaimed his innocence of all other allegations against him. University spokesperson Barbara Beck said yesterday that there are no policies governing the testimony of University employees and that Cassel was not testifying on University time.