Pennsylvania Governor Tom Ridge signed a bill July 8 appropriating $35.5 million in state funding to the University for the 1995-1996 fiscal year. This figure, while significantly lower than the $49.8 million University President Judith Rodin had requested, is identical to the amount the state allocated to the University last year. The state budget appropriates $20.7 million to the Veterinary School, $4.28 million to the Medical School, and $9.5 million towards general instruction at the University. The Dental School clinic received slightly under $1 million. Vice Provost for Community and Government Relations Carol Scheman said the University did not expect to receive more than $35.5 million. The appropriations request "was based on what the University thought it could use," she said. Earlier this summer, Scheman said the University was "relieved" to be receiving what it did from the state. But if Rodin had been granted the full request, Scheman said, the funds would have gone toward lowering in-state tuition, and more money would have gone toward the Vet School. The Vet School was denied appropriations altogether for fiscal years 1993 and 1994, because many lawmakers felt the state should only fund public institutions. During this period, the Vet School suffered a severe deficit from which it has only recently begun to recover. Scheman said Rodin intends to meet with state leaders in the future in the hopes of further improving future appropriations.