University officials are working hard to fill several administrative positions as soon as possible. The search for a permanent vice provost for university life, african american resource center director, chaplain and press director are all reaching their final stages. The VPUL position could even be filled by the start of the fall semester, VPUL Committee Chairperson Dennis DeTurck said. He added that he will be delivering his recommendation to Provost Stanley Chodorow in the next few days. And after the provost receives the reports, he has the final say in deciding who will be the next VPUL. After the lengthy search, Deturck said that he has gained great respect for the people involved in the division of university life. Provost Stanley Chodorow began the search for a permanent VPUL last spring. Acting VPUL Valarie Swain-Cade McCoullum , who has occupied the post since December 1993 is one of the candidates for the permanent position. And the search for AARC director has narrowed down to a few candidates, University President Judith Rodin said yesterday. Rodin said she has been given several names to choose from and that she hopes to appoint someone by the end of September. She added that she was impressed by the candidates. "[The committee] worked over the summer to get this done because we are so eager to get someone in place for this year," she said. Rodin had high praise for the acting director of the AARC, Isabel Sampson-Mapp and AARC administrative assistant Afi Roberson. "I would really like to say what a great job the acting director did this year," Rodin said. "They kept the center running at full speed and they have really shown great loyalty towards it. Allen Green, the former director of AARC and assistant to the provost, left the University July 1 to become dean of the college at Wesleyan University in Middletown, Conn. Chodorow said he is working on finding an interim chaplain and hopes to have one in a couple of weeks. He added that he will organize the search for a new permanent chaplain when the new semester begins. After former Chaplain Stanley Johnson announced his retirement plans in March, the president and provost set up a committee to evaluate the role of a chaplain at a modern university. The committee, chaired by Social Work Professor Jane Lowe, recommended the position be maintained and expanded to include work with various campus ministries and groups. And the search for a press director is also down to the final round, according to Chodorow. He said that he is currently interviewing finalists and expects to make a decision in a couple of weeks.