Embers from a chimney fire set the top of the Palladium Restaurant's front awning ablaze and forced the evacuation of the crowded restaurant and bar early Saturday morning, according to Philadelphia Fire Chief Pat Campanaro. Although witnesses said patrons exited the building by traveling under the smoldering overhang, University Police Sergeant Larry Salotti said no one was injured in the incident. Campanaro said the chimney blaze started when a fire in the Palladium's fireplace burned out of control, shooting flames up through the two-story high chimney. Embers escaping from the chimney landed on the awning, setting it on fire at about 12:30 a.m. Campanaro added that the embers flew out of the chimney because it had not be cleaned and had been "overloaded" with ashes. Although the awning fire was extinguished by Palladium employees, six Philadelphia Fire Rescue vehicles responded to the scene to extinguish the remaining ashes that were still smoldering on the roof. In addition, firefighters spent nearly an hour investigating the building and the adjacent property owned by the Christian Association to insure there were no other burning ashes. The Palladium was able to reopen later on Saturday since the fire only caused minor damage to the building. College sophomore Matthew Blanchard, who watched the fire from Locust Walk with over 75 other students, compared the chimney to a "Roman candle." He said he could see "wispy flames" and "large burning ashes" coming from the chimney. While most of the crowd stood by as the events unfolded, several students who were attending the Community Service Living Learning Program's Castle Coffee House applauded as the Palladium's awning burned. The coffee house program serves as a non-alcoholic entertainment alternative for students. Palladium management was not available for comment Saturday morning.