Spring Fling concert planners have scored a hat trick, announcing last night that rap band The Roots will join Sonic Youth and the Samples for the April 22 show. The Roots are described as a rap band with a "jazz sound," according to members of the Spring Fling and Concert committees of the Social Planning and Events Committee. The Roots' acceptance of the Fling bid on March 2 completed the three- band ticket the committees predicted in late February. Although the SPEC concert and Fling committee chairs said they were satisfied with the current lineup, they said bids are still out to a fourth band for the April 22 Fling concert. "It's in the hands of the band now," Fling Co-Director and College sophomore Melissa Schaefer said. Based in Philadelphia, The Roots is one of the most promising up-and-coming bands, according to Co-Director of SPEC concerts and College junior Mike Parker. "The first rap band that Geffen [Records] has signed -- that means that they are going to be pushed really hard," he said. "Their video is great, their album is well produced -- by the time Fling rolls around they will be one of most popular rap bands." Co-Director of SPEC concerts Vivek Tiwary, a Wharton and College senior, explained that the bands affiliation with Geffen Records on their first album Do You Want More? is a sign of the band's potential success because big names such as Guns 'n Roses, Nirvana and Sonic Youth are are among the label's clientele. "They've received a lot of positive press," he said. "It looks like The Roots are going to take off and we are pretty excited to have them at the early stage in their taking off." Although rap bands frequently use synthesizers, Parker said The Roots perform with a "kit," or standard drummer and a bassist, making their live shows exceptional. The band has also played with Roy Ayers, whom Parker described as "a famous jazz funk musician who plays for The Vibes" on the album Stolen Moments. According to Tiwary, the band fulfills the goal they set to give the University a diversified "package" ticket. "Sonic Youth appeals to crowd that has not been happy with the concerts at Penn, the alternative music crowd," he said. "The Samples appeal to more mainstream-jam orientated crowds. The Roots appeal to rap music and funk fans. "There are three pretty different crowds," he added. "They are all interesting enough in their particular sounds that they have a certain amount of crossover appeal. We feel that all the bands are distinct enough to create an environment with a little something for different music lovers -- but each one is interesting enough to make people stick around."