For most students, eating, drinking and having sex are routine elements of life. But more than 300 University students celebrating the Muslim holy fast month of Ramadan are willing to forgo these activities in order to demonstrate their faith. From dawn to dusk, all able-bodied faithful adults not only deny themselves these basic needs, but act with particular goodness to their fellow man, according to Wharton junior and member of the Muslim Student Association Usman Malik. The Muslim Prophet Mohammed stressed the importance of goodness by saying that "he who does not leave evil only gets thirst and hunger from his fasting." Malik said the purpose of the fast is to show belief in Allah, to prepare for future hardships, and learn to suppress unruly urges -- keeping one from becoming greedy, cruel and oppressive. Fasting also serves as a social equalizer. All Muslims -- whether rich or poor -- must fast during this month. As a result of the fast, many rich Muslims realize how it feels to be hungry for lack of money, and are more willing to give to charity. Muslims believe that it was during the month of Ramadan that Allah began to give the revelation of the Koran to the Prophet Mohammed. This book serves as a moral guide for observant Muslims, and they fast to praise Allah for giving it to them. Because regular activities are allowed before sunrise each morning, observant Muslims wake up early to offer prayers and have a pre-fast meal, called "Suhur," to help ease the physical burden of the fast. During this month, special prayers are offered at night called "Tarawih." Muslims regard fasting during this holiday as a divine task and no person may try to compel another to observe the fast, Malik said. Despite the apparent difficulty associated with strict observance of the holiday, Muslims at the University are prepared to show their faith, Malik said. "You get used to it after a couple of days," he said. "All Muslims look forward to this month of great blessings." Communications graduate student Sarah Sayeed agreed. "Ramadan is a really important and special time of the year for me because it allows me the opportunity to strengthen myself spiritually and help me to appreciate all that I have," she said. "And it makes me more sympathetic to people who don't have what I have." The month of Ramadan -- and the fasting -- ends when the new moon is sighted. The fast is broken with the Iftar dinner. The festival of Eid, which is a celebration of thanksgiving, begins the following day and may last for another two days.