The Philomathean Society's lecture series entitled "Whither the University: Then, Now and Tomorrow," continued yesterday with a speech by University History Professor Thomas Childers. His lecture, "The University and the Third Reich," examined Germany's universities and their relations with the Nazi party in Germany in the early 1930s. The series, which began in September, has studied the evolution of the university throughout history. "We wanted to explore how the university and society interact, from the Sophists to Medieval times to present," said Arthur Kamya, College senior and moderator of the Philomathean Society. "I'd like people to get a conceptual understanding of what has been the mission of the university." More than 30 students attended the lecture which was held at 4:30 p.m. in College Hall. Childers' lecture began with statistical background on the academia of pre-Nazi Germany. "Twelve percent of college professors were Jewish while only one-half of one percent of the total population was Jewish," Childers said. He then elaborated on the state's increasing control over universities during this time period. This evolution included mandatory six-week physical training and drill programs for professors, compulsory National Socialism classes for university students, restricted enrollment of Jewish students, and the complete elimination of Jewish professors. Childers explained that most German university students initially supported the movement -- perhaps out of a desire for a stronger national identity. Throughout the lecture, Childers highlighted the failure of the university academia to take a stand against the increasing control of the National Socialist or Nazi movement. "When opposition was voiced in the academy, it was at [individual policies], not the regime's movement," Childers said. "There was a lot of grumbling, but not complaints about the regime itself." His final and most alarming message was his warning to today's university academia. He said the failure of the university to rally against opposition was not a result of political ideology, but rather of apathy and individual self-interest. The audience seemed very receptive to Childers' message. "I enjoyed learning about state interaction with academia, which I feel is one of the major problems with American academia today," said College junior Brendan Cahill. "I found some of the statistics very interesting." Childers said he thinks it is imperative for students to continue the study of Nazi Germany. "It has been 50 years since the end of the Third Reich and I find it an intellectual imperative -- and moral too -- that we talk about this," he said. "We can't afford not to be concerned."