New group aims to improve social life, class spirit Wharton junior Brent Halliburton was having a blast before the Quaker's final game of the season. He was hanging out with a group of 50-some students gathered around a keg of Rolling Rock and watercoolers filled with Screwdrivers and Bloody Marys. It could've been just another boozy pre-game tailgating party. In reality, it was part of a greater plan to improve social life and unity among members of the University's junior class, at least according to members of a new secret society calling itself Claw and Feather. Claw and Feather spokesperson "Ben," not his real name, said his group is dedicated to improving class spirit and pride in the University by organizing social events. "We want people to take pride in their school and their athletics," he said. "We also want everyone to socialize and have a good time with members of their class – this used to be the party school of the Ivy League, you know." Claw and Feather has organized a number of tailgating parties in the Dental School parking lot, as well as a junior screamer earlier this month. Ben said the administration's crackdown on fraternity parties and the Liquor Control Board's strict enforcement of liquor laws have contributed to a decline in the social atmosphere at the University. His group wants to revive that atmosphere while promoting unity in the class of 1995, he added. Wharton senior Sean Basinsky, who attended the tailgate party, said he supports Claw and Feather. "It's a bonding experience – constructive drinking," he said. "It's not just a bunch of drunkards going to the game." Halliburton described it as a way for class members to interact. "They told us the only time a class is together is commencement and convocation," he said. "This kind of thing breaks down the clique-esque barriers at Penn." Junior Class Board President Jason Diaz said although Claw and Feather is unaffiliated with the class board, the two groups share some similar objectives. "I think what they're doing is great," he said. "We're both trying to bring pride and unity to the junior class." Claw and Feather members say they need to maintain their anonymity to protect themselves from administration backlash, Ben said. But, he added, events are free and open to everyone. Basinsky praised Claw and Feather organizers for "taking on" the administration. "I think the people doing this are jeopardizing their names with the administration to come out and do some good for the community," he said. Halliburton said the administration probably understands what Claw and Feather is doing. "There's no way the administration can endorse underage drinking," he said. "But I think they look the other way."