In the sharpest criticism yet of School of Arts and Sciences Dean Rosemary Stevens' proposal to cut three of the school's 28 departments, American Civilization Chairperson Murray Murphey called for students and faculty to actively protest the cuts. In a statement, Murphey called the recommendations to disband the American Civilization, Regional Science and Religious Studies departments "a betrayal of the commitments that Penn made to its students when they came here to study in these fields." Stevens' decision, he said, "shows that Penn is indeed the bottom of the Ivy League." Murphey challenged the cuts of the departments on seven grounds – which range from the method in which they were imposed to their potential effects. Stevens said she will continue to listen to faculty and consult them about the changes. "I am having a lot of consultations right now with all departments in the school and with numerous individuals, including those in the departments of American Civilization, Religious Studies and Regional Science," Stevens said. "I will continue to consult widely and listen." Murphey first questioned the proposal based on the way it was done. "This action marks the end of collegial government at Penn," the statement reads. "Not one of the departments affected was consulted about these plans, and several had no prior indication that such an action was pending." According to University statutes, a dean's recommendations regarding curriculum changes may be approved only by the Trustees. But Murphey said this matter concerns the entire faculty of the school. He added that despite protests from all the departments cut, Stevens has refused to consider any changes. Stevens, on the other hand, said she will listen to the concerns of the faculty. "As always, I am listening and flexible," she said. "At the same time, the recommendations have not been taken lightly. These recommendations are an attempt to find optimal organizational structures for the intellectual outlets of the school." Stevens plans on replacing the American Civilization and Religious Studies departments with interdepartmental programs, similar to the International Relations and Biological Basis of Behavior programs currently in place. Murphey said the rationale for this action is "dishonest." "The truth is that some of these departments already have distinguished reputations, and that some of them are now among the most 'efficient' in SAS according to the dean's own measure of efficiency," he said. "It is simply not true that efficiency or distinction in these fields will be improved by destroying these departments." But the harshest criticism Murphey lodged, was that "this action shows that Penn is indeed the bottom of the Ivy League." "Every Ivy League school has a religious studies department; we will not," he said. "Yale and Brown have American civilization departments; we will not. All of them have astronomy departments; we will not. The real question is not whether we are the bottom of the Ivy League; the question is whether we qualify as Ivy League at all." Stevens said she respects Murphey's right to express his opinion. "I believe in open expression and Professor Murphey is entitled to his views," she said. "He and I have been talking and disagreeing about the future of the American Civilization department since my first day as dean." She added that she would not comment on the specific points Murphey raises. Murphey's final critique was that the cuts "devalue the degrees which have been awarded to the graduates of these departments." "Already the students are asking whether they ought to transfer elsewhere," he said. "This action is a betrayal of the commitments that Penn made to its students when they came here to study in these fields. It is also a betrayal of the commitments Penn made to the faculty who came here to work in these fields. And it is a betrayal of the mission of this university." A faculty meeting is scheduled to discuss the cuts on October 12, but the plan is not subject to a faculty vote.