The University Trustees unanimously decided last week to endow the deanship of the Annenberg School in honor of University alumnus and major philanthropist Walter Annenberg. With the exception of a few annual gifts and research grants, the endowment is the first major contribution the Annenberg School has received from a source other than a member of the Annenberg family, Annenberg spokesperson Barbara Beck said yesterday. Beck said the minimum amount of money needed to endow a deanship is $1.5 million, but that she is expecting $2 million to be raised. "There is no cap [on the amount that can be donated]," she said. "The money will be donated by the Trustees and others who have been appreciative of everything that Annenberg has done for the school and the community." Annenberg Dean Kathleen Hall Jamieson, who will be the first incumbent of the endowed deanship, said she is gratified that the Trustees had chosen to honor Annenberg. "I'm pleased that the University community has honored Ambassador Walter Annenberg for his many contributions both to the University and to the world community," Jamieson said. Beck said the Trustees decided to honor Annenberg at this time because it "seemed appropriate." "The board [of Trustees] felt that Mr. Annenberg's extraordinary commitment over the years should be appreciated," Beck said. Trustee Chairperson Alvin Shoemaker said that honoring Annenberg was "a privilege." "Over the past four decades, [Annenberg] has been a source of vision and wise counsel to the leadership of the University," Shoemaker said. "We wanted to recognize the value of his consistency and generosity, and liked the idea of linking our display of gratitude to the school at Penn most closely tied to his extraordinary career." The endowment will contribute to the $1 billion Campaign for Penn capital campaign, according to the University statement. The capital campaign is currently over the $900 million mark, Rick Nahm, senior vice president for planning and development, said last week. Nahm added that the Annenberg deanship endowment is a special opportunity for the Annenberg School as the University tries to increase the number of endowed deanships and faculty chairs across the University. The deanship will be named whatever Annenberg wishes, according to a University statement.