What do Medical School faculty, security staff and Book Store employees have in common? At the moment, probably not much. But starting next month, all three groups may be represented on a new list of judicial advisors available to help students who are going through the University's judicial process. Larry Moneta, associate vice provost for University life, said yesterday that 16 or 17 faculty and staff members representing a "broad cross-section" of the University have volunteered to become judicial advisors. The new list of advisors is required under the University's new judicial charter and code of academic integrity. In the past, students had to find a judicial advisor on their own. Moneta said that although some students used to ask the Judicial Inquiry Officer for the names of advisors, the list will make it easier for students to find representation because everyone on the list is willing to participate. Judicial advisors offer guidance to students who have been charged with violating a University guideline. They help them at any or all stages of the judicial process, including the investigation, settlement and hearing. Their purpose is to help students understand the disciplinary procedure and to provide support. Moneta said he believes the number of interested faculty and staff should yield "an adequate number" of judicial advisors, but he added that "if the demand is greater, I'll just go get more people." Moneta said his recruitment effort, consisting mostly of placing notices in Almanac, has gone "extremely well." "It was relatively easy," he said. "I didn't do any overt phone calling or wrist bending." In about two weeks, new advisors -- as well as new members of hearing panels -- will undergo a short orientation and training process to familiarize them with the judicial system and the rights of both complainants and respondents. After that, they will be available to students. "As far as I'm concerned, the day they've completed the training, they're on the list," Moneta said. Interim JIO Catherine Schifter, who moved into her Bennett Hall office a week ago, said yesterday that students involved in the judicial process will be referred either to the Judicial Administrator or the Vice Provost for University Life for access to the list of advisors.