Three weeks ago, John McSorley's business trip to Philadelphia ended tragically when his son Jack, a College junior, died after collapsing while the two were out on a morning jog. On Friday, McSorley returned to campus with his wife and daughter, joining hundreds of their son's friends at a memorial Mass at the St. Agatha and St. James Church, at 38th and Chestnut streets. During the ceremony, McSorley said his son's death at the age of 20 shows the importance of living "abundantly, fruitfully, with love, with integrity, compassion and most importantly, with humor" -- qualities he said his son embodied. "With Jack, it was not just life, it was living life," he said, trying to steady his wavering voice. McSorley told the audience that Jack's sudden death September 21 was caused by a congenital heart defect that had gone undetected. An artery, which should have been outside the heart, instead ran through the heart muscle itself, he said. He said last night that, except in the unlikely event that Jack had undergone open-heart surgery for some reason, the defect would have been almost impossible to diagnose during his lifetime, although he could have lived several years longer. "It seems so, so ironic that it was his heart that ultimately caused his death, because it was with his heart in life that he just opened up to all of us to share his love, to share his energy," he said at the memorial service. Men's Heavyweight Crew Coach Stan Bergman, speaking before McSorley during the "Remembrances" part of the ceremony, recalled Jack's "infectious" smile, sense of humor and positive attitude. "These are the things we've got to remember," he said, choked with emotion. The throng of friends at the memorial included members of the Theta Xi fraternity, of which Jack was vice president, and members of the men's heavyweight crew team, of which he was a coxswain. Others, who knew him from high school days and before, arrived from college campuses around the country for the service. Some of his boyhood friends made the trip from Michigan, where the McSorleys live, his parents said. The stream of people entering the church filed slowly past three big color pictures of Jack before moving on to find seats for the somber occasion. Some stood quietly, while others talked softly among themselves, their eyes damp from tears. After the ceremony, many gathered at the Theta Xi fraternity house on Locust Walk. Some then went to Cavanaugh's Bar, "his favorite place to congregate" on campus, his father said last night. Although a small person, Jack had always been very active in sports, his father said. In addition to crew, he played hockey for 12 years before an injury took him off the ice. He also took part in outdoor sports such as water skiing, snow skiing and sailing. A political science major, Jack was interested in pursuing law, his father said, adding that "his good sense of judgment and a good sense of right and wrong" would have made him a good lawyer. "He had a tremendous sense of humor that gave wonderful entertainment to his friends and would ignite conversation," his father said. "The smile on his face was the smile of life." He said Bergman told him that a crew boat would be named in Jack's honor. Assistant to the President Nicholas Constan, during remarks at the service, said that the University would establish an annual award in Jack's name. His father said that any contributions should be made to the University's crew team and to the Detroit Boat Club, where Jack was an active member for years before coming to the University.