History majors who thought they could take advantage of the department's big names might be in for a surprise next year. At least two of the University's most popular history professors, Drew Faust and Bruce Kuklick, will be on leave at least part of next year. And one other, Associate Professor Walter Licht, said yesterday that he has applied for leave and will know later this semester if he has received a grant. Several others are reportedly awaiting word from foundations before deciding whether they will stay on campus for the year. Department Chairperson Michael Katz declined yesterday to comment on which professors might take time off next year, adding that some "professors are waiting for grants to come through." The history department, considered by many to be one of the best in the country, was plagued last year by the absence of professors, including diplomatic history specialist Walter McDougall and European history Professor Thomas Childers. Katz said yesterday that he is "planning to have some excellent replacement faculty so that we will be able to offer the same excellent courses." But Katz would not comment on specific replacements, adding that he would have a better idea later this spring. In the past, senior history majors have found it difficult to enroll in courses which suit their interests or needs when professors in their field go on sabatical. American History Professor Kuklick said Sunday that while the loss of top professors may "strain" the department, the many grants that the department receives adds to its prominence in the academic world. Kuklick, according to Katz, has received a grant and will not teach at the University next fall. Kuklick, who is one of the best loved history professors at the University, teaches the popular War and Diplomacy course alternately with McDougall. University policy permits professors one semester of leave at full pay to conduct research, or two semesters of leave at half pay after every six years of service. Professors who accept outside scholarships or grants are permitted as much unpaid leave time as they need. "This is a terrific department and the people in the department are leaders in their field nationally," Katz said. "They get asked to do a lot of things. They win competitions. They win research grants."