The InterFraternity Council last night elected Delta Kappa Epsilon brother Jeffrey Blount its new president. Blount defeated Zeta Beta Tau's Stuart Elkowitz and Sigma Alpha Epsilon's Brett Barth for the position, which was left open when president-elect Bruce Forman stepped down last month. Blount said his role as IFC president is to "represent the [fraternity] presidents." "I'm here to try and push their views," Blount added. When the meeting was complete, Pi Kappa Alpha president John Gamba cited Blount's speech as one of the reasons for his victory. "Jeff referred to a 'we,' team-oriented concept [for the IFC]," said the College senior. IFC past-president Jim Rettew presided over the meeting as his final act in office. When the gavel dropped to complete the session, Blount took over the presidency. Last night's election became necessary when Forman's Tau Epsilon Phi fraternity was suspended for a semester. Under the IFC constitution, the president must be a member of a recognized house. Forman said last night that Blount is an excellent choice to head the organization. "That's great," he said of the election results. "I know Jeff. I think it's great for the IFC, and I feel he's going to do a terrific job." "He's the right man to set the IFC on a new course," added the Wharton junior. Blount noted that when TEP returns to the IFC, Forman's input will definitely be welcome. The election process permitted each candidate a five-minute speech. While one was speaking, the two others waited in the lobby of Stiteler Hall. During this time, which was tinged with nervousness, the candidates, clad in dark grey suits and black shoes, discussed many things, from their speeches to this weekend's Super Bowl. "I'm ready for a vote," said Barth while he waited for the speeches to end. Barth assumed the leadership of the Greek Peer Judicial Board to which he was elected last semester. Following the speeches, the three candidates, all Wharton juniors, fielded questions from their IFC counterparts. The three then returned to the lobby so that members could hold a free discussion on the pros and cons of each candidate. The election went to a second vote between the two top vote-getters, as a clear majority was required. Each IFC fraternity was allowed two votes in the election, but as many as six houses went unrepresented at the meeting. Elkowitz, who assumes the vice-president position to which he was elected last semester, showed confidence in Blount. "We have a very qualified person in Jeff," he said. "I'm looking forward to a super year of hanging out." "None of us are losers," Elkowitz added. Phi Sigma Kappa president Daniel Charney, was happy with the results of the meeting. "I think it's great," said the College junior. "It went well. It's very fair." Rettew, who said he will bring Blount "up to speed," said leaving his office is "bittersweet," and added that he was going to be a DJ at Smokey Joe's Tavern last night. Blount said his first job would be to meet with the IFC officers to set a path for the future of the IFC.