Over 350 women signed bids early yesterday afternoon to become pledges at one of the eight PanHellenic Council sororities. The bids were distributed in Bodek Lounge of Houston Hall amid shrieks of joy and excitement. PanHel President Maureen Hernandez, who was one of the women who gave out the bids by hand, said that the women receiving bids "usually had friends there to support them." College senior and Chi Omega sister Hernandez noted that when she arrived to pass out the bids, a large number of future-pledges were anxiously waiting to find out which sororities they would be joining. "The entire lounge was filled," said College freshman Carineh Martin. "There was a lot of hugging and screaming, but there were a few people crying and talking to their rho chis." The Delta Delta Delta pledge added that she is looking forward to the coming months in the sorority. "I am so excited. Pledge is going to be great," she said. Jennifer Pollock, PanHel vice-president for rush, said that this year's quota for each house was set at 51 pledges, four less than last year. According to the College senior and TriDelt sister, PanHel arrives at that figure by taking the number of women invited back to second round parties, and dividing it by eight. "The reason we do this is to help insure that every girl invited back to the Preference parties will hopefully receive a bid," she said. Pollock noted that the high number is indicative of trends in the sorority system at the University. "The number 51 shows that the system is still very strong. Even though it has decreased by four, it shows that we're popular and that there is the need for another house on this campus," she said. Hernandez said that a new sorority will be colonizing on campus in the fall of 1992, and that it is a good option for those who didn't receive bids or chose not to rush. "Pi Beta Phi is coming in the fall," she said. "They'll be here in February providing information." Pollock added that the effort put into the process is definitely "worth it" if it makes so many people happy.