Their hearts stopped every time the door opened. It must have opened ten times before Interfraternity Council presidential candidates Bruce Forman and Steve Rice were called back into Stitler B21. When it opened for the last time, Forman was declared the winner. A Wharton junior and Tau Epsilon Phi brother, Forman edged College junior Rice, a Zeta Beta Tau brother, after a long debate by fraternity representatives. Issues included fraternity relations with the University and BYOB policy. The IFC is responsible for consolidating efforts to solve common internal fraternity problems and acts as a voice for fraternities at the University. "They couldn't have gone wrong with either of the candidates for president," said outgoing IFC president Jim Rettew. "It's unfortunate that one of us had to lose because Steve was also well qualified," added Forman. Both Forman and Rice serve on the current IFC executive board. The tension outside the election room was repeated four times as the board filled other positions. Many candidates paced nervously, trying to relax before the vote was announced. Wharton junior Steve Elkowitz of ZBT, an IFC member-at-large, was named executive vice president, defeating Engineering sophomore Will McAlexander of Sigma Alpha Epsilon and College juniors Nauman Shah of Sigma Phi Epsilon and Eric Vest of Kappa Sigma. College sophomore Morris Massel of Alpha Chi Rho defeated College sophomore Brad Schwartz of Phi Delta Theta for rush vice president. McAlexander dropped down to win the secretary position, and Wharton junior Jeff Blount of Delta Kappa Epsilon won for treasurer. Each defeated four opponents. Forman said one issue the new board will address is fraternity interaction with the rest of the community. "I want people to know I am more than willing to sit down and talk about fraternities and how they can improve campus life," he said. Forman said he also plans to examine the fairness of the University's judicial process. "I am very much concerned with how the JIO is operating and the misperceptions that some have about the Greek system," the TEP brother said. Current IFC Treasurer Whitney Strotz said he was impressed with the number of candidates. "They did a good job of showing enthusiasm for the fraternity system," he said. The vote on five members-at-large was postponed due to the length of the executive board elections. The new board will take office next semester.