Communications Professor Larry Gross is not used to being a possible target for a protest by AIDS activists. But last week, he almost was. Gross, who has been one of the University's most vocal gay-rights advocates, is the primary spokesperson for a Philadelphia Police Commissioner's committee investigating the riot at last month's Center City protest against a visit of President Bush. Gross, along with six other panelists including Assistant Dean of Residences Brenda Ridley, will help investigate accusations that the police unnecessarily attacked demonstrators during Bush's visit to Philadelphia last month, at which four police officers and several protesters were injured. During the September 12 rally, which was held in front of the Bellevue Hotel at Broad and Walnut streets, several police officers hit ralliers when some demonstrators tried to break through the police barricades and enter the hotel. A lawsuit against the city has since been filed by members of ACT-UP, the National Organization of Women, and several individuals, including at least one University student. Gross, who was chairperson of the Philadelphia Lesbian and Gay Task Force for ten years, said last week it is too soon to tell exactly what happened at the rally. He said the commission plans to submit a full report to Williams by the end of November. "The commissioner set up the committee to find out what happened at the rally and to make sure that in the future nothing like that happens," Gross said. Last week's planned protest at the Annenberg School against Gross never materialized, because the AIDS activists, members of Philadelphia ACT-UP, learned that the committee's hearings, which they thought were public, were actually properly conducted in private. The commission is currently conducting public and private interviews with people who were present at the protest. Last week, committee members held private interviews at Annenberg, and Gross said they will probably meet downtown later this week. According to Deputy Police Commissioner Thomas McGeehan, who also sits on the committee, Commissioner Williams will use the results of the investigation to "take any action necessary" to remedy any wrongs committed at the rally. McGeehan said disciplinary action may be taken against police officers if the report recommends it, adding that no formal discussions have been held in the police department to uncover what happened at last month's protest. McGeehan added that about 16 people have stepped forward to testify for the commission so far. The results of the report may also be used as evidence in the suit against the city, in which protesters are demanding money for injuries they received from police officers during the rally. College junior Todd Wharton, one of the plaintiffs in the suit, said he was hit repeatedly by a police officer while he was "just standing there with a sign" protesting Bush's lack of concern for AIDS research. Wharton is also a member of ACT-UP -- the AIDS Coalition to Unleash Power -- and said several other members were beaten as well. Several protesters also said after the rally that they had been hit or kicked by the police and eight ralliers were arrested. Police Commissioner Williams has neither defended nor criticized the police force's actions, except to say that he is conducting an investigation and will release the results later.