Juris Faulitis, a 33-year old Latvian researcher in the Chemistry department, died from complications of Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome. A Delaware County Medical Examiner said Faulitis had an extra nerve in his heart and an extra rapid heart beat. According to Drita Taraila, manager for administration and finance in the Chemistry department, Faulitis was taking drugs for his heart problem at the time of his death. Chemistry Professor Stanley Opella said Faulitis came to the University a month ago from a research position in Germany. He was born, raised and educated in Latvia. Faulitis' research with Opella was to develop a method for solving the structure of proteins. Opella said Faulitis has a wife and daughter here who will be returning to Latvia in a few weeks. "[Faulitis and his family] saw America as the land of opportunity and were planning to stay here," Opella said. Opella praised the young researcher for his dedication to "getting the proper training so he could go on and do the proper research." "He was a tremendously promising guy," Opella said. "Just from his first month here I could tell he was going to do well." -- Roxanne Patel