Even Burger King customers may now have reason to fear a MAC attack, with the recent relocation of automatic teller machines at 40th and Locust streets from inside to outside of the building. The Mellon Bank-operated machines, which had been located inside a vestibule only accesible to users with approved cards, were moved last month to positions on the outside wall of the building. Some students said this week that moving the automatic tellers makes late-night cash stops more risky. "You could control the flow of people who are inside better," said Baba Mantha, a visiting student from New York City. A late-night security guard for University City Associates, the company which owns the building and a subsidiary of the University, agreed, saying that the new positioning is more dangerous. "That's an open invitation to getting robbed," said the guard, who declined to be identified. "People could walk over with a gun." Not all local residents faulted the new positioning, and some said it would provide even more peace-of-mind. "In a way it's more convenient because you don't have to put your card in a reader," said John McLaughlin, who said he has used the machines for the past two years. "They [would-be thieves] will get you either way if they want you." Mellon Bank officials said the decision to move the ATM outside was made to increase safety, and to reduce maintaince and cleaning costs from having "unauthorized" people in the area. "We're concerned about the safety of our customers," said Peter Eglin, a Mellon vice-president. "At this location, we have had problems with unauthorized use of the vestibule." Eglin said the new positioning will make using the machines safer for customers, despite some problems with the outdoors or "through the wall" machines. "The problem with through-the-wall is we want to make them well lit and very visible," Eglin said. He added that while the outdoor machines are less costly due to maintanance that is not required, "to maintain a highly lit, through-the-wall machine can be just as costly."