in annual Hackney movie review' and CATHERINE MICHAUD President Sheldon Hackney brought his trademark bit of Hollywood to Irvine Auditorium Sunday during this year's Freshman Convocation. Hackney used a Spike Lee film for the second year in a row as the cornerstone of his only address to the entire class of 1994 until he addresses them at Commencement four years from now. Using Lee's newly released Mo' Better Blues, Hackney stressed the importance of community and that "human relationships require an effort and commitment from each of us." Provost Michael Aiken and Vice Provost for University Life Kim Morrisson encouraged the entering class to take advantage of the diverse curriculum and diverse student body at the University. Aiken said that the University has had a tradition of promoting world awareness through its curriculum and that recent changes around the globe show how important it is to understand current events. And Morrisson offered her traditional glimpse at the diversity of the incoming class. The VPUL said that over 31 percent of the freshmen are classified as racial minorities the highest number in the University's history, she said. She added that class members come from 48 states and 45 foreign countries. In addition the class boasts 13 "entrepreneurs" and 15 athletes with world class or Olympic potential. She quoted a visitor to the University in 1910 who found the University much more interesting than Princeton University for the same reason that a botanical garden is more interesting than a grove. After the 90-minute ceremony, students said they found the tradition of Convocation interesting, but said that the heat of Irvine Auditorium made it difficult to enjoy the speeches. "I was trying to pay attention but it was really hot in there," College freshman Melanie Chang said.