The Interfraternity Council is considering major changes in the way fraternities hold parties, including eliminating cover charges and requiring students to bring their own alcohol. The proposed changes would bring University fraternities in line with requirements made by an insurance company that provides coverage to at least 16 campus houses, fraternity officials said last night. The IFC was originally scheduled to vote on the plan next week, but several fraternity officials said last night they expected to meet tonight. But IFC President Bret Kinsella said early this morning that the meeting has not been scheduled. "As of now it [the party policy] is the same as it has been, and it will remain the same until there is an official change," Kinsella said. Kinsella declined to discuss what options his organization is considering. Fraternity officials said they believe the IFC's party policy will be overhauled, but they did not know whether the current proposal will pass. They said there has been some resistance to the "Bring Your Own Beer" proposal, and several said they will try to make a compromise. There has also been discussion of hiring professional bouncers to card students. Students said last night the insurance regulations had been in effect for two years, but the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs decided this year to have fraternities enforce them more strictly. OFSA officials were unavailable for comment last night. Fraternity officials said last night that both they and OFSA are concerned that chapters could be held liable if a student is hurt at a party. They said they hope to lower their risk by not providing alcohol, not charging for admittance, or not being responsible for carding. Over the past year, the fraternity system has tried to increase its control over parties in response to increasing pressure by insurance companies. Last semester, the IFC made all parties "invite-only" and only accessible to University students. The organization also outlawed grain punch at parties, saying it was too dangerous. Under the University's two-year-old alcohol policy, fraternities must file plans with the administration showing how they will keep underage students away from alcohol. Originally, the administration had banned kegs from campus, but that provision was deleted from the final policy.