panera-bread-outdoor-dining

Panera Bread on 40th and Walnut Streets reopened with outdoor dining on Sept. 30.

Credit: Ashley Ahn

On Thursday, the city of Philadelphia released a new set of instructions for restaurants to safely continue outdoor dining as winter approaches.

Restaurants may now erect tents and canopies of pliable material without a building permit, Fox 29 Philadelphia reported. They will, however, need to apply for tent permits for tented areas of 400 square feet or larger. 

Due to the pandemic, many restaurants have adopted outdoor dining in order to continue operating in compliance with the city health and safety measures meant to limit the spread of the coronavirus. The new guidelines are meant to provide as much flexibility for restaurants as possible while complying with COVID-19 rules and fire codes, Fox 29 Philadelphia reported.

Businesses may also use outdoor heaters powered by electricity, natural gas, or propane, as long as they are placed at a safe distance from combustible materials, Fox 29 Philadelphia reported.

Outdoor structures with three or more walls and a roof will be subject to rules for indoor dining, including a 50% occupancy limit.

Restaurants will still be required to comply with the COVID-19 guidelines previously issued, including proper distancing between tables and masking indoors before customers are seated. 

Penn began the semester by only allowing students on campus to order pre-packaged meals from the dining halls. The university also set up tents in popular locations around campus so students can eat outdoors. 

Earlier this month, Penn introduced a four-day pilot indoor dining program for resident advisors and graduate advisors, although most declined to participate because of COVID-19 risks.

Penn Business Services, however, said the pilot program was a success. Any student with a dining plan is now eligible to eat indoors at 1920 Commons.