l-scott-levin
L. Scott Levin has been a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons since 1996.

Penn Medicine Paul B. Magnuson Professor of Bone and Joint Surgery, L. Scott Levin has been elected chair of the board of regents at the American College of Surgeons. 

The ACS is the largest organization of surgeons in the world with more than 82,000 members, Penn Medicine News reported. Levin has been a Fellow of the ACS since 1996 and has served in a number of leadership positions including vice chair of the Board of Regents for the past year and chair of the Advisory Council for Orthopaedic Surgery from 2008 to 2012.

Levin is a professor of plastic surgery and chairman of the Orthopaedic Surgery department at Penn Med. He is also involved in the Orthoplastic Limb Salvage Center and the Hand Transplant program, Penn Medicine News reported. Levin leads the Vascularized Composite Allotransplantation program, where he directs teams that performed bilateral hand and arm transplants in 2011, and similar operations for two international patients in 2016 and 2019.

The ACS is a scientific and educational association of surgeons, founded in 1913, that aims to “improve the quality of care for the surgical patient by setting high standards for surgical education and practice.” The ACS sponsors a variety of medical educational programs, conducts programs to improve the quality of care for patients, and helps monitor policy issues impacting the field of surgery.

As the newly appointed chair of the board of regents, Levin will work closely with the ACS Executive Director David Hoyt and chair the Regents’ Finance and Executive Committees. The 24 member Board of Regents is responsible for formulating policy and managing the affairs of the ACS.

Levin is the author or co-author of more than 395 peer-reviewed journal articles, 85 book chapters, and 11 books, Penn Medicine News reported. Levin has brought his hand, orthopaedic, and microsurgery experience to the editorials of several journals including serving as the hand section editor for "Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery."