stone-signing-with-gutmann-kumar-1910
The donation is the largest in the history of the school, according to a Penn Engineering press release. (Photo from Amanda Mott)

The School of Engineering and Applied Science received a record $25 million donation to fund a new data science building.

The donation, made by 1980 College graduate Harlan Stone, is the largest in the history of the school, according to a Penn Engineering press release.

The "Data Science Building" will be located at the corner of 34th and Chestnut streets and will be used by all of Penn's 12 schools and other academic centers, according to the press release. The building will house active learning classrooms and research spaces for data science technologies. 

“We are profoundly grateful to Harlan Stone for this exceptional gift,” Penn President Amy Gutmann said in the press release. “As a loyal Penn alumnus and a long-time friend of Penn Engineering, his vision and leadership are truly inspirational."

Stone serves as the CEO of HMTX Industries, a flooring manufacturer. He sits on the Penn Engineering Board of Overseers and is currently the chair of its Academic Life Committee. 

The donation comes a little more than a week after the Board of Trustees approved a $125 million naming donation by the W. P. Carey Foundation to Penn Law School — the largest sum ever gifted to a law school. 

In February, the School of Arts and Sciences received a $50 million donation from Roy and Diana Vagelos to create a new energy research building. That donation was also the largest in SAS history.