2019-02-08-21-47-09-1-1
Credit: Nicole Fridling

One of the most consistent presences for Penn men’s basketball this season has been junior guard Devon Goodman.

On a team that lost Ryan Betley, its top-scoring guard, at the beginning of the season, Goodman has been the steady hand at the helm of the Red and Blue backcourt. 

Goodman provided consistent scoring in hostile road environments over the weekend, shooting 64 percent from the field across games at Brown and Yale. Even in the 78-65 loss against Yale, when the Quakers as a team shot 26.5 percent from three-point range, Goodman was able to knock down four of his five attempts from beyond the arc.

Goodman leads the team in minutes per game with 35 in his first year as a starter, a testament to his durability. In the Quakers’ 92-82 win over Brown, Goodman played almost the entire game, putting up an efficient 21 points in 38 minutes.

Credit: Georgia Ray

It helps that Goodman can score from anywhere on the floor. His speed and quickness allow him to make sharp cuts to the basket, and his athleticism gives him the ability to finish at the rim. He has also shown that he can hit threes this season, and this marksmanship was on full display last weekend.

It should be no surprise that Goodman is continuing to put up numbers as the Red and Blue enter the thick of conference play. He earned DP Sports Player of the Week honors earlier in the season after electric performances in the Paradise Jam. Since then, Goodman’s game has only improved, and his contributions will be vital as the Quakers try and turn around a 2-4 start to Ivy League play.

As we’ve seen before, Penn men’s basketball is capable of coming back from a lackluster start in conference play to crash the Ivy tournament. If they do it again this season, it’s a good bet Goodman will be leading them there.