pnc
Credit: Yoni Gutenmacher

A robbery at the PNC Bank on 200 South 40th Street prompted a UPennAlert around 4:17pm Tuesday afternoon. The suspect is still at large, the Division of Public Safety wrote in an emailed statement to The Daily Pennsylvanian. 

Around 4:07 p.m., the suspect entered the bank and demanded money from the teller with a note while producing what appeared to be a handgun, DPS said. The suspect proceeded to take the money from the teller and exited the bank. According to DPS, the suspect was walking with a limp and was last seen heading north on 40th Street towards Chestnut Street.

The suspect is described as a black male in his 30s, seen wearing a tan jacket, black gloves, a white hat, and sunglasses, DPS said in their statement.

A UPennAlert was issued at 4:17 p.m, and the all-clear message was sent at 4:41 p.m.

However, some students reported that they did not receive the UPennAlerts.

Kathleen Shields Anderson, Director of Operations & External Affairs for DPS, said one possibility is that students who did not receive the alerts should check their Penn InTouch Emergency Contact Information status. Students have an option to opt-out of UPennAlert notifications in the period from Commencement to New Student Orientation.

Shields added that she would need more information from these students to determine why they didn't receive the alert. 

Philadelphia and Penn Police, as well as Allied Security, will be increasing patrols in the area, DPS said. The FBI will also be investigating.

Credit: Yoni Gutenmacher

This past academic year, two robberies had occurred at the TD Bank located just two blocks away near the intersection of 38th and Walnut Streets — one in November and the other in April.

This PNC bank was last robbed in 2006, when the perpetrator stole $500. The FBI was unable to find the suspect.