nassau-hall-princeton

Photo by Smallbones / CC0

An armed man was shot and killed in a Panera Bread restaurant after a five-hour-long standoff between the suspect and negotiators in just a few feet from Princeton University on March 20. 

The gunman entered the restaurant in Princeton, New Jersey at 10 a.m. and it was just after 3 p.m. when negotiators decided that the man would not surrender peacefully, according to ABC News. The man was then shot dead by local police, the attorney general’s office said.

There were no other injuries in the incident. Princeton students were on spring break vacation. The Attorney General’s Shooting Response Team is still investigating the matter.

The same day, a student at Great Mills High School in Maryland used a handgun to shoot another student he knew on campus. The target, a female student, was critically injured, a 14-year-old boy was hurt. The gunman, whom the authorities identified as Austin Wyatt Rollins, 17, was fatally wounded, according to The New York Times.

This incident is now the most recent school shooting, after 17 teenagers were killed at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida in February, which is now considered the third most deadly school shooting in United States history.

The Parkland school shooting sparked national outrage around gun control laws and culminated in a national walkout on March 14. 

CEO and director of the Wistar Institute Dario Altieri wrote an email to his employees detailing that he would walk-out of his laboratory for 17 minutes at 10 a.m., mirroring the actions of thousands of high school students across the country. Students at Penn Law School also staged a walkout at 1:30 p.m. to stand in solidarity with the protests. 

On Feb. 22, dozens of Penn students gathered at the LOVE statue on campus to protest gun violence and stand in solidarity with the victims of the Parkland shooting. 

More recently, a collection of Penn’s bipartisan groups hosted a “walk-in” to discuss the implications of gun violence in terms of media, social policy, and politics. 

College sophomore and College Republicans Communications Director Bob Bailey told The Daily Pennsylvanian that personal safety needs to be a priority on the national scale, saying, "after tragedies like the Parkland shooting, we feel even more motivated to contribute our thoughts to the ongoing debate centered on enhancing the safety of American citizens.”