softball preview

Junior Sarah Cwiertnia and Penn softball look to continue offensive output after breakout game against Lehigh. 

Credit: Bonnie Mendelson

Now they've got momentum.

Coming off of a stellar 12-3 win against Lehigh on Tuesday, Penn softball hits the road this weekend for its next Ivy League series against Brown.

While the Quakers (5-14, 2-4 Ivy) struggled to open the season, the win against Lehigh was an offensive breakout. It was the first time all season Penn had scored double-digit runs in a single game, and it was the largest margin of victory to date.

Looking to capitalize on the momentum gained from its highest-scoring game of the year, the Red and Blue are feeling prepared for the weekend ahead. 

“It was nice to see production throughout the whole entire line up," freshman shortstop Lucy Yang said after the victory against Lehigh. “The whole order stepped up.”

Yang has been a huge asset for the team so far this year, shining at bat with four home runs and a 1.013 on base plus slugging in 19 games. She has also had a large effect defensively, with an overall fielding percentage of .901. 

Junior first baseman Sarah Cwiertnia has also had a great year so far for the Quakers, as her team high .517 batting average this season proves. 

Not that there weren't areas for the team to improve offensively, even against Lehigh. Cwiertnia identified situational hitting, especially with runners on base and in scoring position as an area to focus on moving forward.

However, Cwiertnia does recognize the improvements her team has made.

“We’re producing runs which is what we need to do to win,” she said.

Both Yang and Cwiertnia have been crucial for the Quakers so far this year, but they appreciate their captains, juniors Jessica England and Hannah Gibbons. 

“They’ve been huge for us,” Yang said.

“They pick us up when we need to be picked up,” Cwiertnia added.

Clearly, the team is coming together and making headway after a shaky start to the season over spring break, when they went 1-10 at the USF Under Armor Invitational.

The Quakers are hungry for wins this weekend as they take on the Bears (7-12, 1-2) for a triple-header starting on Saturday at 12:30 and 3, and wrapping up on Sunday at 12:30.