50544_movieo
Credit: Yosef Robele

Cinemark movie theaters nationwide have implemented new policies that restrict bag sizes allowed into movie theaters, just one week after the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting on Feb. 14.

The policy has been implemented at Penn's local Cinemark movie theater as well. Cinemark 6 on 40th and Walnut streets now posted a sign on its doors that states this new policy and adds that “the company reserves the right to inspect all bags and packages entering its theaters."

The policy has been enforced since Feb. 22, which states that bags larger than 12”x12”x6” will no longer be permitted into theaters, “in an effort to enhance the safety and security of our guests and employees,” Cinemark announced on its official website.

This announcement from Cinemark comes six years after the Cinemark shooting in Aurora, Colorado which took twelve lives.

Penn's own public safety policies state that visitors and members of the University community may not possess or use dangerous articles such as “air rifles, pistols, firearms, weapons, ammunition, gunpowder, fireworks, explosives, gasoline and other dangerous articles and substances in University buildings or on University property.”

Correction: A previous version of this article stated that the 2012 Cinemark shooting happened in Aurora, Ohio, when it actually happened in Aurora, Colorado. The DP regrets the error.