wbb_StJoes_recap

Freshman center Eleah Parker was named Ivy League Player of the week after tallying 15 points, four blocks, and two steals in a win over Saint Joseph's.

Penn women’s basketball might have only had one game this past week, but that one game was all it took for freshman center Eleah Parker to earn recognition as the Ivy League Rookie of the Week.

Last Monday against Saint Joseph’s, Parker led all Penn players in scoring with 15 points as the Quakers defeated the Hawks 57-50. She also tallied eight rebounds, four blocks, two steals, and two assists in what was the Red and Blue’s first Big 5 win in two years.

Credit: Julia Schorr

Courtesy of Penn Athletics

After the game, coach Mike McLaughlin praised Parker’s performance on the block alongside last year’s Ivy League Player of the Year and senior forward Michelle Nwokedi.

“Defensively, they were the best since they’ve been together, and that shows you much progress Eleah is making,” McLaughlin said. “She’s improved so much in just two weeks on the defense side.”

While this was Parker’s first time being honored by the Ancient Eight, she has offered solid contributions to the team all season. After seven games, Parker is averaging nine points, six rebounds, and more than a block per game.

Parker’s next opportunity to add to her impressive season statistics will come on Friday when Penn hosts Rhode Island.