torgSadness
Credit: Ananya Chandra

Former Penn football quarterback and Ivy League all-time great Alek Torgersen has been cut from the Washington Redskins practice squad. 

The move adds yet another bump in Torgersen’s road as he continues to seek out his break into the National Football League. He signed for Washington just one month ago, after being cut by the Atlanta Falcons following a mixed series of preseason performances for the reigning NFC Champions. 

It remains to be seen whether the 2017 graduate will be picked up by another NFL team.

There are four teams that currently have just two quarterbacks on their roster, however. The Cincinnati Bengals, Detroit Lions, Houston Texans and Seattle Seahawks are all short-staffed in one of the sport’s most important positions. 

Cincinnati and Detroit both implement offensive systems similar to Atlanta’s and Washington’s, suggesting that scouts from either team might perhaps see Torgersen as a good fit to add to the depth of their squads.

Torgersen had a record-shattering career for the Red and Blue. The Californian led the Quakers to two consecutive Ivy League titles in his final two years on the squad, breaking the program records for career touchdowns (52), pass completion percentage (65.1) and yards of total offense (7,937) in the process.