greek
Credit: File Photo

Even though Greek life recruitment for freshmen only takes place in the Spring, fraternities and sororities have been busy hosting events this fall to attract potential new members. 

Last week, Greek leaders hosted a New Student Orientation Greek BBQ, where nearly all chapters of the Interfraternity Council, the Intercultural Greek Council and the Panhellenic Council provided food and music. Tables were also decorated and laid out information for interested students. 

IFC President and College senior Bradley Freeman said the barbecue allowed curious students to meet representatives from various chapters in one place, which might be more convenient than having to attend the events of individual chapters. 

This weekend, sororities will also be hosting an open house where interested women can attend an information session and visit the various chapter houses. Potential new members will also have an opportunity to meet their Rho Gammas, or recruitment guides, in December before the formal rush process in the Spring. 

Vice President of Recruitment for PHC and College senior Andrea Klein said these fall events are a more informal way to let students learn more about Greek life in a "low-pressure setting."

"I know recruitment is overwhelming," Klein said. 

While many universities allow Greek organizations to recruit freshmen in the fall, private universities like Penn tend to have their recruitment periods in the spring because it "gives time for students to be acclimated to Penn and meet people through various types of campus groups,” Klein said. 

Considering that most people’s perception of Greek life is based off movies and TV shows, Klein added that she thinks it is better that students have “a few months of exposure to Penn’s take on Greek life.” 

College freshman Simran Chand said she appreciated the events hosted in the fall to introduce students to sororities and fraternities on campus. 

“Especially as a freshman coming in, I know very little about the process, so this way I can talk to the girls, get to know them, and ask more about the rush process and what it entails,” she said. 

Freshmen aren't typically allowed to enter the rush process during their fall semester, but several organizations under IFC and PHC offer Fall rush for upperclassmen. 

Various organizations under the Intercultural Greek Council also recruit in the fall, though they do so in a more "rolling basis" said Angie Wang, IGC President and College senior.

“Some of the groups, especially the Asian-interest groups, do more formalized 'week' recruitment similar to IFC and PHC, but other groups prefer that you reach out to them,” Wang said. “It's more lowkey and you really have to emphasize that you want to be a part of their group.”

Aside from formal events, freshmen typically get exposed to Greek life through parties hosted by fraternities. College freshman Jared Soltys said having a good time at a specific organization’s party might make one more likely to join a group.

However, Soltys added that it's the advice of upperclassmen involved in Greek life that most significantly influences students' decisions for or against rushing