mikemccurdy

Senior quarterback Mike McCurdy set a new program single season record with 1,740, en route to capturing his second, and first outright, CSFL MVP award.

Credit: Peter Ribeiro

It just keeps getting better.

Just a few weeks removed from Penn sprint football’s first outright Collegiate Sprint Football League title since 2000, senior quarterback Mike McCurdy was named league MVP for the second straight season.

This is the first outright award for McCurdy, who split it following his junior season in 2015. The Bethesda, Md., is just the second Penn player to win the award twice, joining Tim Ortman from the 1998-99 seasons.

Nineteen members of the Red and Blue, including McCurdy, earned a total of 20 All-CSFL honors, with eight being first teamers. This marks the most first team awardees for the Quakers since the 2008 season and is tied for second-most behind the Red and Blue’s 10 selections in 2000.

McCurdy capped off a historic career with his best season. His 1,740 passing yards are a Penn single-season record and put him over the top for the school’s best career yardage mark with 5,892. He led the Quakers to just their second outright CSFL title and second undefeated season ever.

Joining McCurdy on the first team were Jake Klaus, Marcus Jones, Aidan Kelly, Benji Friedman, Pat Boyle, Chris Colavita, and Matt Caltabiano. Of the first team honorees, just Colavita and Boyle will join McCurdy in graduating this fall.

Back to lead the Quakers in the 2017 title defense will be Penn coach Bill Wagner, who has announced his return for a 48th year on the sidelines for the Red and Blue.