fallphotombastudent
Credit: Joy Lee

Wharton MBA student Benjamin Schüttler, known as Benji, died on Tuesday in Philadelphia due to complications from surgery. Schüttler was 27 years old and from Atlanta, Georgia.

Schüttler was pursuing an MBA at Wharton as well as a Masters degree of Public Policy from Harvard University’s Kennedy School of Government, according to the email sent by Vice Provost of University Life Valarie Swain-Cade McCoullum and Wharton MBA Program Vice Dean Howard Kaufold on behalf of President Amy Gutmann and Provost Vincent Price. In 2012, Schüttler received undergraduate degrees from Wharton and the College as part of the Huntsman program.

As an undergraduate, Schüttler was involved in the International Affairs Association as a Model United Nations conference planner and contributed to Penn International Business and the Social Impact Consulting Group.

Cade and Kaufold wrote that Schüttler was greatly influenced by his study abroad experience in Senegal as an undergraduate. He hoped to connect his passions for social impact, economic development and education into his work, the email said.

After graduation, he worked for the Boston Consulting Group in Athens, New York and Philadelphia. He took part in an elite global social impact initiative at BCG before returning to Penn this fall to begin his MBA studies, concentrating on Entrepreneurial Management, the email said.

Editor's Note: This article has been updated to reflect that Schüttler died on Tuesday. While the administrators' email originally noted his death occurred on Monday, they have since clarified the date.

If you wish to comment on this article, please contact Editor-in-Chief Lauren Feiner at feiner@thedp.com.