clintonwomencarson5919

Students across Penn remark on the impact Clinton's presidential campaign has made for women in politics.

Credit: Carson Kahoe , Carson Kahoe

Whether you’re with her or against her, Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton has helped set a precedent for women in politics.

Before the dust settled on the United States presidential election, various groups on campus reflected on Clinton’s candidacy and performance throughout the electoral period.

Co-President of Penn for Hillary and College senior Samuel Iacobellis said it is important to look at this election in the context of America’s history: Less than 100 years ago, women did not have the right to vote.

“Now, we are days away of electing a woman to the highest office of the land,” he said.

Iacobellis added that throughout Clinton’s campaign, people seem to have “grown numb” to the fact that Clinton is the first female candidate to represent a major political party. He said that people may have “gotten used” to the idea of Clinton being president because of her prominent role in U.S. politics and the fact that she had already campaigned for the Democratic candidacy once during the 2008 election.

“None of this takes away from the historic nature of her candidacy,” he said.

In an email statement, chair of Penn Association of Gender Equity and Wharton senior Megan Yan also emphasized the importance of history in reflecting on this election.

While PAGE is non-partisan, Yan said that the group is “excited that there’s a woman in politics at the highest level, but saddened that it took this long.”

Clinton’s candidacy marks a milestone in the history of women in U.S. politics, she added, one that includes other figures such as Shirley Chisholm, the first woman ever to have run for the nomination of the Democratic Party in 1972.

However, for most young Americans, including many on this campus, Clinton was not their first choice for the Democratic Party nominee. According to a report by the Center for Information and Research on Civic Learning and Engagement at Tufts University , there were states where more than 80 percent of voters below 30 years old voted for Sen. Bernie Sanders during the Democratic Party presidential primaries.

College junior Amanda Silberling , co-founder of protest group We are Watching, was among those initially disappointed with Clinton’s candidacy because of her support for Sanders.

“There is a lot that I don’t align with her on, but as of now, I feel like voting for her is the best way I can use my vote,” Silberling said. She added that she appreciates how Clinton has been receptive to the aspects of her platform that young voters find problematic.

Silberling also said that she did not think all female voters were obliged to vote for Clinton just because she is a woman. Being a woman is not a singular experience; Clinton’s experience as a “wealthy white woman” is not representative of the experiences of all women, she said.

Both Yan and Silberling also stated that there is still much more progress to be made in making politics more gender equitable. Silberling made comparisons to other civil rights movements, stating for example, that just because gay marriage was legalized last year does not mean that discrimination against LGBTQ people does not still exist in the United States.

That being said, Clinton’s performance during this election, particularly during the presidential debates, has set an inspiring precedent for other female leaders in politics, Silberling said. She added that she admired the way Clinton handled national pressure on stage and kept focused on her message despite interruptions from Trump.

President of Women’s Political League and College senior Kate Samuelson agreed, adding that if she wins, the symbolism of a Clinton presidency would break barriers for other women seeking political office. Samuelson cited a study by political consultant Amelia Showalter which found that when women are elected state governorships, their states have more women legislators in the future.

The WPL is hopeful that Clinton’s potential presidency will inspire more women to take on leadership roles on all levels of politics, Samuelson said.

“Regardless of whether she wins or loses tonight, [Clinton’s] legacy for U.S. politics will last a long time.”