guideclassswitching

Switching classes can be difficult once the school year starts, so here are some tools to help with your scheduling needs.

Credit: Daniel Xu

With hundreds and hundreds of courses across dozens of departments, choosing classes can be a challenge, and switching them once the year has started can be even harder.

Maybe you realized that your passion for mathematics is not worth the struggle to get out of bed at 8 a.m. Perhaps you’ve decided to put off writing seminar for yet another semester. Maybe you just decided that you won’t be satisfied without that one history course you’ve always dreamed of taking. Whatever the reason for the change, you still have a chance to perfect your schedule.

Here’s a guide to some important tools to help with all your scheduling needs.

Penn InTouch

As with Advanced Registration, scheduling changes made during the semester must be completed through Penn InTouch. The online application acts as a useful, if sometimes frustrating tool that allows you to review your current schedule, learn more about open courses and make scheduling changes through the ‘Registration & Planning’ tab. Undergraduates can add courses during the course selection period until Sept. 19 and they can choose to drop or take a class pass/fail until Oct. 10.

Penn Course Notify

If you didn’t get into one of your requested courses during Advanced Registration, there’s still hope. Check out Penn Course Notify, a webpage which alerts you whenever a class has an open spot. It may just help you to create the ideal schedule.

Advisors

Beyond simply helping you plan your academic future, academic advisors can be very important in the process of adding or dropping courses. If convinced, advisors can give you permission to enroll in more credits than your allotted credit limit.

Choosing your schedule can be rather intimidating. With a little maneuvering and a careful consideration of which classes will be worth the most to you, you can have a fantastic fall semester.