foodtruck

Food trucks are an integral part of the Penn gastronomic experience. Ice cream macaron sandwiches, cream cheese-schmeared bagels, and others are some of the highlights.

A major part of the Penn food experience is sampling food trucks across University City. The Daily Pennsylvanian rounded up a few of the best options:

Lyn’s

Going to Lyn’s for a breakfast sandwich is a milestone of the freshman experience. Lyn’s serves a delicious bacon, egg and cheese sandwich, which they will grill hot onto your choice of bread. For those seeking a lighter yet still satisfying meal, egg whites and spinach on whole wheat toast is another popular option. Although Lyn’s offers salads and hoagies as lunch options, it is truly their all-day breakfast that cannot be beat.

Hours and Location: 37th and Spruce, between the upper and lower quad gates, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., Monday through Friday

Price: $4 for a standard B.E.C.

Schmear It

Homesick New Yorkers look no further! If you’re craving a high-quality bagel in University City, you aren’t going to find any better than those served at Schmear It, Philly’s first and only bagel food truck. It serves 13 kinds of bagels — some of the most popular are french toast, chocolate chip and whole wheat everything. What truly distinguishes its bagels is the variety of signature and customizable “schmears.” Two of its best sellers are the “Nutty Naner,” made with peanut butter, Nutella and bananas, and the “Veggie Delight,” made with a mix of cream cheese and vegetables.

Hours and Location: 38th and Locust, 7:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Wednesday and 10:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday

Price: $5.75 for any “Signature Schmear”

Magic Carpet

Magic Carpet offers quality vegan Mediterranean eats that even sworn meat eaters are willing to stand in line for. Magic serves up — disputably — the best falafel pita in University City, which workers will douse with hot sauce and tahini upon request. The seitan peppersteak is nearly as hearty as any cheesesteak you can find. Its array of salads come with a warm slice of pita on the side so you can make your own sandwich if you choose. It also has delicious vegan, gluten-free cookies that vary in flavor every day.

Hours and Locations: 36th and Spruce (near Williams Hall) and 34th and Walnut, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., Monday through Friday

Price: $5.50 for sandwiches; about $5.75 for salads; $1 for cookies

Sugar Philly

One of Penn’s most exciting new vendors, Sugar Philly makes to-die-for macarons and macaron ice cream sandwiches, as well as desserts like pecan pie, cheesecake and creme brulee. Sugar’s macarons come in traditional flavors like chocolate, vanilla and raspberry, while its ice cream sandwiches are more avant-garde in taste — with flavors like blueberry burrata and lavender salted caramel.

Hours and Location: 38th between Walnut and Sansom Streets, noon to 6 p.m. Tuesday through Friday

Price: $1.50 for regular macarons, $3.50 for ice cream sandwiches

Yue Kee

With chicken lo mein and fried rice galore, Yue Kee serves up killer Chinese cuisine that will get you through your block of afternoon classes. While it may take a while (five to 10 minutes) to complete orders, the relative freshness of its ingredients makes up for it. Its beef and mushroom stir-fry is as good as you’ll find at Dim Sum Garden or Han Dynasty. While the truck might not be the most aesthetically pleasing, the food does the job.

Hours and Location: 38th between Locust and Walnut Streets, 11:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Monday through Saturday