On Monday, six nooses arranged in the colors of the rainbow were found hung on tree at Austin Paey State University’s Clarksville campus.

The Washington Post reported that Austin Paey Police received complaints about the display at about 5 p.m. yesterday. They promptly removed the nooses out of concern for their offensive symbolism and its potential impact on the community.

After conducting an investigation, University authorities released a statement saying that the nooses were intended as an art display for a sculpture class and were not meant as a political statement on race or a hate symbol towards the LGBT community. According to ABC News, the student behind this project has released a separate statement explaining that the display was meant to invoke “the cycle of death and rebirth represented by springtime.”

In an open forum held yesterday, student Tony Morris said according to ABC News, "We have all taken history in high school. How could anyone be unaware that would be offensive to people?"

The APSU President Alisa White made similar remarks.

"Regardless of the intent, the display has no place on our campus. I am saddened and sorry for the hurt and offense this has caused.”