dsc_7632

UA presidential candidates and College juniors Aidan McConnell (right) and Jane Meyer (left) participated in a series of three debates before Meyer won the election.

Credit: Marcus Katz

Three new members will join recently elected President Jane Meyer and Vice President Ray Clark on the Undergraduate Assembly’s executive board.

During internal elections on Sunday, College sophomore Michael Karam was elected UA Speaker, College sophomore Kat McKay was elected Treasurer and College sophomore Eric Tepper was chosen as Secretary.

Karam will replace College junior Andrew Robertson as UA speaker. His major responsibility will be running the weekly UA meetings and moderating any debates that take place.

“The UA this year has set a precedent for being really effective. I want to build off of that and keep moving forward,” Karam said, adding that in his campaign he focused on improving communication between the UA executive board and the general body.

Tepper will replace College and Wharton sophomore Andrew Gegios as UA Secretary, taking on responsibilities such as recording notes at meetings. He hopes to improve communication between the UA and the student body by improving the UA website and working closely with its communication team.

McKay will replace College senior Amanda Acosta-Ruiz as UA Treasurer. Her main responsibility will overseeing the creation of next year’s annual UA budget, supervising the allocation of University funds to student groups such as the Social Planning and Events Committee, class boards and the Student Activities Council.

McKay said that this year’s budget proceedings under former treasurer Acosta-Ruiz were run very effectively and that she hopes to build upon this year’s success. She wants to continue to foster communication between the UA and the student groups that it funds.

“I definitely intend to help facilitate good relationships between student government branches,” she said.

The candidates gave speeches and answered questions during a meeting on Sunday. The internal elections process took place in a closed meeting during which members of the UA cast their votes.